Friday 5 June 2009

What's wrong with these people?

I've been doing a bit of research today into a theory I have about why my pain might have suddenly got so much worse in the last three months (more on the theory if it pans out).

I was hunting around on the net trying to verify something a neurology consultant had told me about the maximum dosage of my meds in Germany, and I came across a forum where people were talking about how much of this particular drug you can take in a day, the side effects and so on. I thought 'Great, this'll be useful, people who've maybe had similar experiences to me'. I was a bit confused at the way they kept talking about how much they loved the stuff, but I naively thought they just loved the fact that it eased their pain. Oh no. I'd stumbled onto some kind of prescription-drug-addict-forum!

When they were talking about dosage, what works and what doesn't, they weren't talking about managing pain, they were talking about getting high! (And though I realised it was an opiate-based medication, it had never occurred to me that anyone would take it for fun, largely because I didn't think it was that strong. Just goes to show.)

It made me furious though! I get so sick of constantly popping pills, having irritating reminders going off to tell me when to take them, having my whole day revolve around what pills to take when, and here are these jokers batting on about how great the pills are and how they've taken more than twice the max dosage just to get that 'lovely floaty feeling'!

Time after time I look at those bloody pills, wanting nothing more than to rebel and refuse to take them, chuck them in the bin, just have nothing to do with them. But I know from bitter, painful experience what will happen if I miss even a couple of doses in a day. God forbid I should ever go out of the house without them.

I have no choice about taking these pills, because they are the only things that keep me vaguely functioning through the pain, and here's these people doing it for fun! Not only that, these pills are addictive, so they are setting themselves up to HAVE to keep taking them (if they're not already in that position) and all for a 'good feeling'.

Seriously, what's wrong with these people?

No comments:

Post a Comment