Saturday 31 July 2010

So, latest update...

Most of the time my arm feels like it's literally falling out of my shoulder. I'm also getting so much pain now in my back it's pretty unbearable, and at least once a week I have to take a morphine pill, just so I can sit up, draw breath - you know, the usual stuff! I didn't want to go back to taking morphine, I'm terrified of getting reliant on it, of my body getting used to it, of having to go through that awful withdrawal again. But there are times when it really is the only option. I never know what the side effects going to be though. Sometimes it's the crazy, dizzy, stoned feeling; sometimes I feel I'm going to throw up for hours on end; sometimes I feel like I'm suffocating; and sometimes there are no side-effects, it just takes ages to have any effect on the pain.

All of this, of course, means that whenever I take one of these awful pills, I have to be prepared for any, or all, of these side-effects - so I have to be in a situation particularly where I don't need to drive.

I've also now chopped off all my hair - not exactly because of the pain, but in part. It was becoming so difficult to wash, style, do anything with, and of course it was also so heavy, there just seemed no point now in having hair halfway down my back. So, in typical me fashion, I chopped the whole lot off! It was actually very liberating (though the hairdresser was terrified I would change my mind!) and I'm loving my new look!

I wanted to be able to donate my hair to a charity that makes wigs for people who have lost theirs for medical reasons - I managed to find one via the Cancer Research Trust website. They make wigs for children who've lost their hair due to chemotherapy or alopecia. It's great - they guarantee that the hair won't be used for anything else, and that's particularly important, because I didn't want anybody making a profit from it.

At least there's one bit of good news amongst all the crap...

No comments:

Post a Comment