Wednesday 2 November 2011

Sling part 2

The abduction sling arrives yesterday. Initially it was a massive disappointment; int turned out to be extremely complicated to put together, a problem exacerbated by the fact that the shoulder strap is not as pictured.

There's Velcro everywhere; this makes it infinitely adjustable, which is obviously a very good thing, but it does make working with it a nightmare, because bits are constantly sticking to each other and are then hard to get off.

I spent ages trying to work out how to fit the sling, but I just couldn't. The company's website helpfully just said to fit it as per the picture (difficult, when it's not the same as the picture!). I rang them to request instructions, and was told 'it's too complicated to write instructions for'!

I was gutted. I'd spent a lot of money on this thing, and all the faffing had triggered bad neck pressure when I had been feeling OK before. I had to give up and go to bed with my arm under extreme traction.

Later, when the neck pressure had eased a bit, I tried again. I did finally manage to get the waist strap working; I wore the sling all afternoon and evening and it really helped. It did exactly what I wanted it to - it put my arm in traction much better than the cushions ever have, and it allowed me to sit up for hours longer than normal. It also changed the shoulder pain, making it more bearable. My back and neck also improved.

The ditzy receptionist at the manufacturers had promised someone would call me back yesterday morning - no-one ever did, but I was woken by the phone first thing this morning.

The woman on the other end was extremely helpful and went to great lengths to try and sort the sling out got me. Obviously it was difficult that we couldn't see what each other was doing (she was working through it as we spoke), and it was difficult and painful for me, doing it all one-handed.

In the end, it seemed that the shoulder strap simply wouldn't fit me, but impressively she immediately offered me a 50% refund, since I could only partially use the sling.

I was very happy with that, but when I tried using the sling for a quick trip to Tesco, I began questioning my decision. It was clear the shoulder strap is necessary - the damned thing kept shifting downwards, and didn't provide as much support as it did when I was sitting down.

After a couple of hours' rest and ruminating, a solution suddenly occured to me, and this time I managed to get the shoulder strap fitted. I don't know if I've done it 'right', but it works, and the whole contraption is much more stable.

Again, the neck pressure and pain have all been better, and I've managed to sit up for hours, so all in all I'm pretty pleased.

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment