Friday 3 June 2011

Interesting development

This is interesting.

I went to a different chemist's to get the new prescription filled today. When the pharmacist came over to give me the pills, she took one look at me and said 'oh, you're in agony, aren't you'. I actually wasn't feeling as bad as I often am (as bad as right now, for example), but I obviously looked rough.

What was interesting, though, was the fact that I didn't find her comment intrusive or inappropriate. Yet it infuriates me when people ask what's wrong or what I've 'done to myself'.

What's the difference? Maybe it's the line between sympathy and pity, I don't know. The pharmacist today sounded genuinely sympathetic, with no strings attached. She wasn't asking what had happened, she wasn't passing judgement, she just cared.

I think all those other people who ask supposedly because they care, are actually being nosy and are subconsciously relieved that its not them. They see me as some pitiful victim.

The pharmacist wasn't interested in how or why, and she looked past the sling and the stick. She just saw someone in pain and wanted them to feel better. And it did make me feel a bit better, just receiving that unconditional concern.

It was the same as the friends that make me feel better because of the way they respond. I don't really understand it, but there it is.

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment