Monday 6 June 2011

Oxycontin vs Oxynorm?

I'm really struggling with what morphine to take when.

The last few days, I've been trying more Oxycontin and less Oxynorm. I thought it might mean a lower overall intake because there would be a steady release of morphine. I was having to take the Oxynorm more and more, and that's what I was trying to correct.

It would also mean fewer peaks and troughs. The doc had said it would be better this way. I'm spreading them out though, rather than taking them in two bouts, because I do find I get more effect from Oxycontin when I first take it. If I took the day's dose at 12 hour intervals, like you're meant to, the second half of the 12 hours would be more painful than the first.

So I'm taking then like this:
5am - 10mg
1pm - 10mg
5pm - 10mg
9pm - 20mg

The problem, though, is that the Oxycontin makes me a lot more nauseous (it's to do with the hydrochloride that makes it slow release), which makes it hard to eat, which in turn means I feel more stoned.

I don't know what to do for the best, and I don't know if it really matters anyway.

It's not working out that I take less morphine overall, but then again this is a particularly bad episode. The sickness makes life even more unbearable, so does the stoned feeling. I wouldn't be able to drive with this level of stonedness, whereas I usually can on the Oxynorm.

The pain is more level though - the peaks and troughs are evened out, as the doc said. But on the Oxynorm, I'm going to wind up taking three at a time, or taking two every two hours. Whereas on the Oxycontin, I'm having to top up less often.

This is how today worked for example:
5am - 10mg Oxyc
9am - 10 Oxyn
1pm - 10mg Oxyn
1.30pm - 10mg Oxyc
5pm - 10mg Oxyc
7pm - 10mg Oxyn
9pm - 20mg Oxyc

This is a typical day doing it the other way:
5am - 10mg Oxyc
10.30am - 10mg Oxyn
1.30pm - 10mg Oxyn
4.30pm - 5mg Oxyc
5pm - 10mg Oxyc
7.30pm - 5mg Oxyn
9pm - 20mg Oxy
9.30pm - 10mg Oxyn

This is where I think I'll be fairly soon:
5am - 10mg Oxyc
10.30am - 10mg Oxyn
12.30pm - 10mg Oxyn
2.30pm - 10mg Oxyn
4.30pm - 5mg Oxyc
5pm - 10mg Oxyc
7.30pm - 10mg Oxyn
9pm - 20mg Oxy
9.30pm - 10mg Oxyn

Which is better?

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment