Saturday 14 May 2011

Wanderlust

As I was lying in bed last night, trying to sleep, I was thinking about how much I miss travelling. It always used to be my favourite thing.

I miss thinking about all the things I might be doing while I'm away, and packing for every eventuality. I miss reading up about my destination - I was a Lonely Planet and Rough Guide junkie.
<
I miss the excitement of getting up in the early hours to travel to the airport. I miss Travellers' Cheques and exotic currency. I miss getting a map of a strange town and heading off by myself to explore.

I miss unfamiliar public transport systems and the thrill of successfully making it to my destination. I miss the scenery and the architecture, the shopping and the food. I miss taking hundreds if pictures and keeping journals of where I've been and what I've done. I miss buying presents for people, imagining their faces when they see them.

I miss getting back and telling people all about my adventures. I miss creating photo albums and scrapbooks of my trips, and randomly flicking through them, reminiscing about what I've seen and done, who I've met and where I've been.

I miss all of it.

These are the places I've been:
Colombia x 2
Mexico
Peru
Cuba x 2
Jamaica
Spain x 4
Belgium
Holland x 2
Germany
Corfu
Denmark
France x 3
Ireland
Egypt
USA

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment