Friday 16 September 2011

Collapse in Tesco's

I'm back in bed after a traumatic morning.

I've been trying to get out to Tesco's for three days; I finally felt well enough to go.

Twenty minutes in to the trip, the pain exploded. I was on the snacks isle looking at fruit bars. The shoulder pain had been spiking badly most of the way round, but suddenly it went through the roof. At the same time, the back pain screamed in out of nowhere. I was shaking, I couldn't breathe, there was no strength in any of my limbs and I thought I was going to fall. I couldn't move, I couldn't do anything.

I grabbed the first staff member who came past and asked for a chair. I thought I was going to have to sit on the floor right there while he went to get it.

The staff were very good - someone stayed with me while I waited, two different manager-y types came to check on me and offer to call an ambulance, before the first aider arrived.

They got me a chair and I took two top-ups. I still couldn't move or breathe and I could tell from the tingly feeling in my lips and the way my face felt all wierd, that I'd gone really pale.

They offered to get me a wheelchair to take me to the cafe where it would be quieter, but they couldn't find one, so instead they brought one of the motorised scooter-trollies. I had to operate it, though, and it was agonising; it was really jerky and people kept walking in front of it, making me stop suddenly, and jerking me even more.

I sat in the cafe for over an hour, taking another two top-ups, till I felt I could get home. I couldn't finish my shopping, and getting to the check out, loading it all on and off the conveyor, and getting it to the car caused all the pain to kick off again. I was in agony.

I managed to get home and get the stuff inside and fell into bed.

All this after two days trying to convince the insurance people that going out and doing things makes the pain worse. Maybe their 'testing' should just be a trip to the supermarket...

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment