Sunday 14 August 2011

Swimming nightmare

I'd asked my sister to come with me to the local spa club yesterday, because I thought the steam might help. I've also been thinking for a while that I wanted to try swimming again, but it seemed potentially dangerous to do that on my own; I needed someone there the first time, just in case.

We've never been there before, but it was quite nice. We started off in the mineral pool. I had my bouyancy jacket and we were just gently skulling up and down on our backs.

We'd been in there less than 15 minutes when I started getting numbness in my left arm and a shooting pain in my lower back. Within minutes it was so bad I was gasping for breath, I couldn't let myself float in the water and I couldn't stand up because I couldn't straighten my left leg.

I got my sister to try acupressure on my back, and I leaned on the side for about half an hour. Then I sort of hopped through the water to the steps: I still couldn't use my leg.

I couldn't get out of the pool by myself, so my sister had to manhandle me out of the water. It was really difficult, because I couldn't use either my left arm or leg, and I was in excruciating pain. A couple of times I fell back into the water, face-down, and would have drowned if she hadn't been there to fish me out: I couldn't even roll over.

Half an hour in the hot tub eased the spasming back muscle enough for me to stand up and walk to the steam room. I hadn't been in there long before I could feel it twinging again, though, so I had to get out.

We sat cooling for ages, then My sister suggested just floating in the pool, not swimming: three steps into the water, that muscle was heading for full spasm again, and I had to give up. It was just ss hsrd getting out.

On top of all this, I felt hideously stoned for the rest of the afternoon. It felt like my sister was trying to be Schumaker driving home, but I know she wasn't, it was just my skewed perception of things.

I can only imagine it was the minerals in the pool that caused the latter, and maybe the pain too. It means I was right not to try swimming on my own, and it leaves me too terrified to try it again. Which also contributed to my tearful evening (previous post).

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment