Tuesday 2 August 2011

You're on your own

So, my call to the Complex Needs group.

The reception bloke was without doubt the most obstructive, rude, unhelpful little oik I've come across in quite some time. His sole intention was clearly to keep out as many people as possible. He had the radio turned up so loud that I couldn't hear a word he said, yet he had the audacity to complain that he couldn't hear me.

It pisses me off no end that the health service which is supposed to be there to help us all, is invariably ex-clusive and almost impoosible to access. I've paid my National Insurance contributions for 20 years. I never request or accept assistance unless I have a genuine need, I don't waste people's time. If I'm asking for help, it's because I need it, yet no-one seems to notice that.

The very nature of mental health issues makes that the process of asking for and receiving help is even more difficult than it would normal be. What patients need is empathy and respect, not to be treated like a kid in a canteen trying to score a second helping of dessert.

When I did finally manage to get the idiot on the phone to help me, it transpired that the guy I need to see is on holiday for three weeks, so it'll be September at the very earliest before I can be seen. Probably a lot longer.

So once again, I'm left struggling by myself, and no-one in the medical profession gives a toss. 'National Health Service'? 'National you're-on-your-own Service', you mean.

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment